Saturday, July 27, 2013

Pony Boot Camp Day 1

So as it turns out I'm better at keeping an old fashioned journal to chronicle my Pony Boot Camp, than I am at keeping an online journal! So, let me catch you guys up on whats been going on.  This is day one, Thursday July 18th.

We rode english, the ride time was about 45 minutes.

I had a very short amount of time, I was definitely running late.  Here's what we did

- 1 full lap in each direction at the walk, cutting across the diagonal after 1 lap.
- 1 full lap in each direction at the walk, cutting across the diagonal after 1 lap, in two point the entire time.
- 1 full lap in each direction at a sitting trot, cutting across the diagonal after 1 lap.
- 1 full lap in each direction at an extended trot, cutting across the diagonal after 1 lap.
- 1 lap each direction loping.

She was somewhat hot and funny, but of course this was after her not being worked for quite some time!  I definitely should have done an extended trot before the sitting trot, a slow jog has never been her forte.  However, once I let her extend her trot a little, it felt absolutely wonderful.  It felt so springy and loose.

So, I came up with a list of goals that I hope to have seen an improvement in by day 30 of Pony Boot Camp.

30 Day Pony Boot Camp Goals

- Will drop head and be soft on bit at a walk and trot for a good amount of time.  When I say a 'good amount of time' that means not much more than 6 or 7 strides. Collecting herself is tough for her, and it is requiring muscles that are not developed at the moment.  So, I am not asking for a miracle, just progress.
- More exact walk > trot transition.  Thats our worst transition. I have no clue why.  It's seriously hideous though.
- An acceptable lope > trot transition.  This one is SUPER tough for both of us.  She listens to my body nicely when I ask her to transition down from the lope, but then its either a jackhammer trot or she trots a few steps and stops, and no amount of squeezing in those few steps will make her keep going in that trot.  Such a fickle pony.
- Calm and Collected simple lead changes.  I don't actually mean her being collected, just that I want to be able to have a simple lead change where she doesn't loose her brain.
- I should be able to sustain two point for at least a full two laps in any gait. (I may have reached a little high for this one....)
- Calmer and slower lope overall.
- Work on engaging core and having a better seated trot at varied speeds. (Who knows how difficult it is to sit a trot in a jump saddle? It is SO difficult.  I can sit a trot bareback better than I can in my jump tack.  This one needs some work.)
- Work on engaging core and get my butt glued to the saddle in a lope.
- Better hind end control, better rollbacks and spins.

I also have a list of things that I would like to improve in the bigger picture scheme.

Overall Goals

- Improve/continue carrot stretches.
- Improve flexibility (massage/stretches)
- Improve her ability on her right side (she gets upset if you lead her/are on her right side.)
- Improve her confidence, work on sending her over things by herself.
- Circus pony tricks!
- Teach her to lay down.
- Teach her to pick up her legs with mine.

I have more posts to do about each ride since then, but so far we are doing great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!