Friday, June 28, 2013

SO busy

I have been so ridiculously busy. My sister is getting married next month, and I have barely had time to do anything between working and doing my maid of honor duties. 

Pony is unfortunately still off. The massage has helped, but not as much as I would have hoped. After not being ridden for a few days, she's back to being just as stiff as she was before.  With my trainers help, I'm going to do a flexion test on her, to make sure that there's no underlying lameness that bothers her but isn't obvious normally, I just want to rule out any other options before I get the chiropractor out. 

I know that there is something bothering her, yesterday I made it out to ride and butted her before I rode. I rode bareback (since that's what I've been doing for the past few weeks, I wanted to make sure to change as little as possible between my previous bad rides and the butted ride). And let me tell you, she was fantastic!!

She was kinda hyper and hot, but totally in a 'I feel good and haven't been worked much in a month' and not 'I'm bracy because something hurts'. 

The difference wasn't only obvious to me, it was obvious to other people around as well. Even the BO said she looked good , and he has some scary high standards. 

Also, get this, I got her framed up and collected for a whole lap around the arena at a walk. She was trying so hard to be good for me, and this tells me that this problem with her booty has been going on for a while, since I've never gotten her to give to pressure like she did yesterday. 

Can anyone think of anything that could be bothering her that doesn't show up as lameness? Something that could change her gaits/riding.

I have though of arthritis, but I honestly don't think that's it. She's 15, which is still relatively young, but also, in terms of riding, she's got pretty few miles on her. She's only been broke to ride for 7 years. 

Would arthritis show up in a flexion test? 


However, I can tell you that pony is loving her time off, she's been pampered!

7 comments:

  1. Also, I wanted to thank Allie for nominating me for the liebster award, and I will get to that post ASAP! I just haven't had time! But thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the queen of mystery lameness, but not the queen of answers! Have someone walk her or trot her away from you and watch her hips as she goes. Do they rise and fall evenly or is one higher than the other? I just learned this over at Brown Eyed Cowgirls blog, and oddly enough had the chance to see it for my own eyes on Sassy at her last farrier visit. If you see a difference in the rise then a chiro is the answer, as she has a hip out of place.

    One thing I think I know about arthritis is that in older horses you hear a lot of creaking and popping. You are right though, she is not that old.

    Congrats on your award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so interesting! I will definitely have someone else take her and watch her hips from behind. Thanks for that info!

      Delete
  3. Sorry she's not feeling better. If it is arthritis, the flexion test will show you where it is.

    Speaking as one who has a hopelessly lame horse, if all it takes is bute to make her comfortable for a ride, you're lucky!

    You can see an unevenness of hips (if it's there) where working them on a circle also.

    If she has a head bob at the trot, if it is downward it points toward a hind limb problem, upward would be front end.

    Try looking up Masterson Method on YouTube. You can try it and see if she'll give you some clues about where the problem is, and it might help her out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll look it up!

      I am definitely going to do the flexion test, because the problem is that there isn't any visual lameness! It's so hard to figure out what is hurting them when you can't even figure out where to start!

      Delete
  4. Oops. Right when you are outrageously busy and have already been nominated for the Leibster Award, I nominated you again. Sorry.

    I learned of Lostine's arthritis when farriers and vets picked up her hind feet, heard a crack and said, "Oh, she's got a little arthritis in her hocks." When she moves I can hear a clicking noise. There are so many things that can make a horse sore and stiff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!!!

      Hmm, I don't think i've ever noticed clicking, but I will definitely check now!

      Delete

I love comments!