Monday, April 22, 2013

David Lee Archer

I recently ran across some videos on youtube of a trainer.

This trainer is named David Archer, and has quite a few videos of his trainings.  He seems like he works on mostly problem horses, and so far I really am enjoying his videos.

He really explains what he is doing, and why.

The main thing that stands out to me, is that he has no problems of fear.  He doesn't get afraid of the horses (even if they strike and kick and are VERY aggressive), and he especially doesn't get frustrated with the horses, which I think makes all the difference when training a horse.

Here is one of the videos I enjoyed watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2SdU2lS2zk&list=UULTzlnO_HjfQNwzoeivpzQQ

This horse is super spoiled and super mean.  She strikes at him, and could have seriously hurt him (because the owner of the horse lied and said she was broke and gentle...once she was honest about her, he said that was fine, but he would have taken a different approach if he knew she would strike out at him, duh.)

I am just impressed with how calm and cool he is throughout the entire thing.  

He mentioned a few times that people comment saying 'omg you hit that horse!' and it makes me laugh.

Because its true.  There are people that freak out, because he had to use a little force with the whip.

However, he gives this mare a chance.  He doesn't touch her with it, until she says 'f**k you', and then he gets more aggressive until she responds.

Which is obviously how it should be.  If you don't think its ever okay to give a horse a good smack if they deserve it, then clearly you shouldn't own a horse.

Note that I said 'if they deserve it.'  It's really about safety folks.

He talks a lot about having control of their feet.  If you can control their feet, then your in a position of power.  This doesn't just mean driving them forward, but controlling where they put their feet (change directions a lot, make sure they stop. back them up.  Disengage hind, etc...not just making them move, but actually controlling their feet)


This is a second video I enjoyed.   It's about another aggressive horse.  This horse doesn't like humans at all, but is fine with other horses.  It was suggested that she be put down, since she was a danger to people.  This trainer took her and helped her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5UeO2ljAwI

What I thought was cool, was that when he plays with ropes some, he senses anxiety, which I didn't necessarily see at first.  He is calm with him, and gives him room to freak out until he relaxes, then removes the rope.  This next video shows him introducing another person to this horse, something that previously would have ended disastriously.  He uses the rope on foot method, which usually I hate, but in this case he is gentle with the horse and only uses it as a precaution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T8eZG1XcRA

Anyways, so far I have really enjoyed watching this guy, and he's got a bunch of training videos covering all bases!

8 comments:

  1. Welcome to his world!! I have followed DLA for some time. he has given valuable information out to all. Its been for me, a re-enforcement of what I have tried to achieve and the way i do it, his methods work. Good for you in finding him, Since I found him, my work has been better, but for me it was that realisation that there was somebody else out there that did it the same way. Or rather I did it the same as he teaches, so I wasnt going mad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I had a sneaking suspicion that when I posted this I would find out he's well known and I am way late to jump on the bandwagon, but I'm just glad to have found him! Definitely has awesome tips, plus, he has so many videos I bet I can find one to help me with any problem I have!

      Delete
    2. You will, and he probably has, have fun, and why not do what I did, subscribe, so when he does another vid, you get it straight away!

      Delete
  2. Another dangerous trainer. Not a fan. Have watched videos. Not impressed at all. He panders to the insecure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following his videos and think he is probably the best trainer out there. I have owned and ridden horses since the 1980's and felt like I stumbled onto a gold mine when I found his videos in 2012. Now I know what I was doing wrong all these years. And that goes for most of the horse people I associate with. Horse people can be....difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been following his videos and think he is probably the best trainer out there. I have owned and ridden horses since the 1980's and felt like I stumbled onto a gold mine when I found his videos in 2012. Now I know what I was doing wrong all these years. And that goes for most of the horse people I associate with. Horse people can be....difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See, I like him so much I posted twice :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. See, I like him so much I posted twice :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!