Thursday, March 7, 2013

English Lesson

Today was my english lesson with the new 'trainer'.  It was fun! I wouldn't say it was like the most awesome thing ever, but then again thats because it was a first lesson.  I was on a new horse, in new tack, I was trying to put those together and figure out my body!

I rode this horse named Cash.  He's a little bigger than pony, but also a little sturdier.  He's a tobiano dun.  Seriously beautiful if he wasn't so funny looking! He's completely shaved because he grows in the thickest most ridiculous coat, and it grows in in like August.

He's also young, about 6 I think she said.  She got him when he was a yearling, and he's been blind in his left eye since the day she got him.  She said she acts the same with him and it doesn't seem to bother him.

He seriously needed his teeth done, and I had quite a bit of head tossing etc because of it, but she said they have an appt next week with the dentist, so I should see a positive improvement soon.

He was just so different to ride! He is weird like pony.  Kind of strung out, hard to maneuver etc.  So for a while, we worked on brakes, walking in a straight line, responding to leg, etc.

He was definitely so WEIRD to ride.  I don't even know how to explain it! He was like pony with his strung out weird tendencies, but he wasn't nearly as sensitive or responsive to my leg, which I am of course not used to.

We talked a lot about being aware of footfalls and feeling which leg is hitting etc.  We also talked about managing gaits, and feeling a fast trot vs a forward controlled trot.   Mostly stuff I am already able to do, but had to work on with this differently moving horse.

The biggest difference is the fact that I can be a little harsher with my cues if he isn't listening to me in the beginning, and since he is a dufus gelding, he listens to me.  For example, when I asked for a canter, he picked it up and flew at a wall and stopped.  With pony, I would have gotten leg on earlier (plus, she would be way more responsive to my leg), and sat deep until she softened.  With him, I was able to squeeze him into the bit and he responded to that, rather than my body the way pony does.

Anyways, it was just a little bit of everything, mainly getting comfortable in new tack.  She said that usually the first thing she would correct was looking down or at the horses head, but she didn't have to say that to me!

She also said that I handled him really well, and she expected me to look a bit more frazzled.  I felt a little frazzled, but honestly, first rides on new horses are rarely a bucket of fun.  At least, not weirdly handling ones! But I have ridden a lot of horses that I didn't want to get back on a second time, but after working with them for a while, I grew to love them.  Like pony!

Anyways, it was a fun lesson in that the trainer was able to see my strengths and weaknesses, and I was able to be exposed to a different horse and have a little more direction in how to position my body correctly!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like this trainer will work out for you! Yay!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!