Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentines Krispys!

Gooey, delicious hearts of melted marshmallows and peanut butter....

Say what!

This is what I spent my last night doing.

These are my FAVORITE treat to make, mostly because they're delicious and kill a sweets craving, without actually being terrible for you.

There are only four ingredients to make these.

Butter, peanut butter, marshmallows and cheerios.

Well, I prefer cheerios, but I figured they wouldn't cut as well as rice krispies would. I did the same recipe I have been using forever to make these, and altered it a little.  First, I double the recipe (I wanted a lot, ok? Don't judge)  I melted the butter on the stove, I poured the marshmallows in, I waited for them to turn gooey and melt (do not simply wait, stir, stir, stir until your arm is going to fall off! Otherwise they will overheat and not taste as good), removed from heat, added peanut butter, stirred in rice krispies, and poured it all onto a piece of wax paper.  I put another piece of wax paper on top and rolled it out until it was about as big as I could get it.  (I of course, didn't take a picture until halfway through cutting it up!)

Then, I let it cool.  If you go for it too quickly, it will just fall apart when you use a cookie cutter.


I used this adorable heart cookie cutter and started stamping it in.



I put the already cut ones on a different sheet of wax paper.


 Once I stamped all I could stamp, I tried to mold together all of the edges/in betweens/left overs.  Word of warning? DON'T DO IT! They clearly don't 'mash' together well, and those ended up ugly and not as tasty.
Pretty and not mashed together
Ugly mashed together

Then, I heated up my chocolate.  Somehow, I royally fudged up the white chocolate heating up, and ended up with lumpy chocolate.  I was way bummed.  However, my taste testers promised me it still tasted delicious.  Its kind of a white chocolate coconut thing though, because I had to add a bunch of coconut oil in order to get it to smooth out.  (If anyone wants to know my love affair with coconut oil, just ask, stuffs the bomb)



So, I simply picked up the heart, dipped it into the chocolate, placed it on the wax paper and sprinkled whatever sprinkle I felt like!


Pretty simple, right? It was just time consuming, but definitely fun!


Some I dipped one half, some I dipped the edges, some I dipped the top half, some the bottom.  It was fun to mix it up and try to 'design' different ones.


What do you guys think? Look good enough to eat?

Heres the recipe for HALF of what I made.

3 Tbs Butter
1 Bag Marshmallows (I prefer mini because they melt faster)
1/2 cup Peanut Butter
6 Cups Rice Krispies (Or cheerios! You'll need to add approx. another 2 cups if you use cheerios)

1. Melt butter in medium pot over medium heat.

2. Add whole bag marshmallows, stir frequently until melted.  Use medium - medium/high heat.

3.  Once melted, remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until melted.

4.  When mixture is smooth, add cereal and stir until fully coated, then spread and press into a casserole dish or just on wax paper.

And now you have delicious treats!



P.S. if you haven't entered my giveaway yet, do it here!


5 comments:

  1. I'm going to say if you are going to do a give away...I'd like you to give away some of those yummy treats! Those look great.

    But with Cheerios? Ugh, I don't think I would like that, but then I was traumatized by a cheerio years ago, so even the smell of them makes me gag.

    I quit trying to make yummy treats a while ago. It seems I always end up walking away and then they get burned. Or I forget to set the timer, Or I buy all the ingredients and then it sits in the pantry for years. I generally wait for someone else to make some and then do my "poor me, sad dog eyes look" to get some. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marissa! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leading me to yours! You got yourself a new follower!:)

    These look so yummy and they are so pretty! You took great pictures of the whole process!

    I'm enjoying go back through your old posts and reading and admiring your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marissa you can't post things like this anymore. I'm sitting here at work and my mouth is literally watering over these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to try this and when I do I'll write a post about this! It is such a good idea, something I would never have thought about doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy you could totally make them! Just make the rice krispys, they are SO delicious by themselves....theres no tricky ingredients, and no timers! If you stand by the stove and pretty much stir most of the time, it takes like ten minutes from start to finish! So simple! Amber, I look forward to seeing your take on them! Mare, thanks! I can't wait to have a chance to go back through your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!