Sunday, February 10, 2013

All sickness and no play!

There have been a definitely lack of horsie posts from me lately.

Well, its because I've spent a whopping two days at the barn the entire month of february so far.  Thats very very little for me.  I've been slacking.

Honestly, what happened was I got sick.

Hardcore, doctors appointments, blood draws, antibiotics, not knowing whats wrong with me sick.

I woke up with a slightly sore throat last friday morning (the first) and it progressively got worse all day.  By night time, everytime I swallowed was like daggers.  My head felt huge, all of my sinuses were congested and I had a sinus headache.  I was up at bubbys house for the night, and it was honestly the worst night of sleep I have ever had.  I slept from about 11-1 before I woke up the first time absolutely coated in sweat.  I threw off the covers, only to begin being freezing.  I literally scooted on top of bubby to warm myself (which of course he slept through) only to begin copiously sweating again.  I had no thermometer, and I still don't know if I ever had a fever.

Of course at this point I couldn't breathe through my nose and was trying my hardest not to have to swallow at any point.

Then, the aches began.  My entire body was aching, I would fall asleep for about 10-20 minutes before I would wake up in pain again.  Bubby was snoring and taking up the entire dang bed, and when I would lean all my weight into him to try and push him over, in his still awake stupor he thought I was trying to get him to cuddle with me, so he would throw his body weight over me and somehow scoot more on my side of bed.  Cute, but not what I wanted!

Finally around 5 I started texting my mom telling her I thought I had strep throat, and my sister is going to kill me for missing her bridal tea the next day. I stayed awake from there and finally woke up the bubs close to 8.

I went to the doctor the next day to have them swap for strep, which came back negative.

The pain got worse so I went to the doctor again (monday) and she did a second swab, blood test for mono (I've had it before and they think I am that lucky 1% that it reccurs in) and gave me antibiotics to start.  Luckily, it was not mono, and the second strep also came back negative.

With this information, she said it was simply a nasty flu and it would go away in a few days with hot tea, relaxation, etc.

Well, I can 100% positively tell you she was wrong.  About 24 hours after I started the antibiotics, I felt about 75% better.  I can guarantee you that after four days of the same if not worse pain, it is not a coincidence that the pain left on the same day the antibiotics would be kicking in.

Personally, I think I need my tonsils removed, and I think it was tonsillitis, or an abcessed tonsil, or a tonsil infection.  This is like the 5th time in the last few years I have gone in with a really bad sore throat and they have not had an answer for what it is.

Regardless, it was a rough week.  I didn't work monday or tuesday, but made my way back for wednesday and thursday.  Both days though, it was hard enough to work, let alone even think of getting to the barn afterwards to try and ride.  It just took SO much energy out of me, Friday was the first day I was able to make it through the day without a nap.

Friday however,  I did make it to the barn.  I was still not 100% and was lazy.  We walked around the barn a few times bareback, then I took her in the round pen.  We did some groundwork, and I jumped on her completely naked.  No halter, no rope around her neck, nothing.  Just me and a pinch of mane.

She was awesome.  She honestly listens so well.  We were able to do a few figure 8s and changes of direction.  Then, we trotted, which is something I have not done naked yet.  Heck, I haven't even been on her without a rope around her neck before!  It was great! She was a little fast at first, but quickly slowed herself down.  We even got in a few figure 8s trotting in the round pen.  They were ugly, but I was being very conservative with how much leg I was putting on her in the trot!

It was a fun day!

I'm hoping this week will be easier for me to start back up being at the barn a lot!

3 comments:

  1. I had the same problem this week i couldn't talk all week, or eat and it was getting to the point that I couldn't drink, so I went to my doctors and started antibiotics and I rapidly improved, but they couldn't tell me what it was and I think that it was my tonsels too.

    Glad tht you made it to the barn, and it sounds like you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel better! Being sick is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you haven't been well. I used to get tonsillitis all the time when I was a teen. It made me tired and of course my throat hurt really bad, but I never got those flu like achy symptoms like you described. My youngest son gets it now too.
    BUT several years ago, there was some sort of bug that went around that was just like what you described. Swollen tonsils,achy, couldn't eat, and literally down for the count. I had it and was really sick for weeks, my husband had it and was down almost as long. My kids got it, but got over it a little quicker. Everyone I knew eventually ended up with it. I swear I lost 20 pounds, and I was already thin back then, so I was skin and bones.

    Marissa, the most important thing for you to remember when you are sick like that is REST, REST REST. Obviously you have to work, but give yourself plenty of time to sleep good, take naps if needed, and don't push yourself. I'm sure I sound like your mom, but lets face it, you are younger than some of my kids, so my maternal instincts naturally kick in.

    I'm glad you did get to go ride, even if it was just a little. Riding naked! I am impressed.

    Oh, and your books are here with me at work, and I am sending them out today.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!