Thursday, January 3, 2013

Equestrian Challenge Day 12

Day Twelve : Your favorite horse color!



Okay, now thiiiis one is fun! Horses are soo beautiful, and lets be honest, just because they're pretty doesn't make them a good horse.

Now that that's out of the way.....

I absolutely love leopard appys!



Tell me you don't find that beautiful! 

I also love anything with a blue eye! Or a brown and blue eye! 

I also think a lot of pintaloosas are beautiful, especially with a spotted blanket!


I think that buttermilk buckskins are absolutely gorgeous


I don't think that any horse is ugly, but buckskins aren't really my cup of tea, unless its a light buttermilk buckskin!

Also, of course, my favorite thing ever


A medicine cap!!!! (Even better, with blue eyes :)) 
I think that medicine caps are the most beautiful thing! Oreo had a medicine cap, and blue eyes, (she was so hard to keep clean, don't kid yourselves!) and she always had her ears back, mostly listening to me, and they looked like devil horns :)

I didn't know anything about medicine caps before I started riding oreo, so in case you guys don't know either, heres a little history lesson!

Medicine caps are super rare on horses.  They are considered by Native Americans to be blessed, or special horses.  Medicine caps simply pop up on horses, they are very difficult if not impossible to breed for.  When you breed for a medicine cap, one in every five foals is born with a genetic disorder that makes it die within the first year of their life. And the other 4 out of 5 foals does not necessarily have a medicine cap! So to breed for a medicine cap, you end up losing a lot of horses and spending years and won't necessarily get what you were trying to achieve!

The way I see it, is that the horses born with medicine caps are special, as the Native Americans said they were.  They were meant to have that medicine cap, and they wouldn't have had it unless it was meant for them.  

Hey look at what I found!


A medicine cap leopard appy! Omg!






1 comment:

I love comments!