Sunday, December 23, 2012

Judgement is Important!

So I am in Oklahoma for Christmas! My family is here and were all having so much fun! Today, my grandpa took us to his friends ranch who had a few horses so that I could ride. When we got there, I was given a nice horse who was about 15 hands. He was a quarter horse, and I guess since I'm so used to pony's forward ness, he seemed sooo sluggish.

I walked around the indoor arena for a few minutes and he wasn't very responsive. He was wearing a mechanical hackamore, and wasn't responsive to any sort of rein. He didn't neck rein very well, he didn't move off my leg very well. They said that when they had kids ride him they had him rein, shoot, i can't remember what they said. It was 'wrangle' or 'rodeo' or 'bronc' or something like that I've never ever heard of before. Basically it was just pulling one rein like a direct rein but in a hackamore meant for neck reining. He wasn't responsive to anything!

I finally got him to trot and it was pretty rough, he kept tossing his head and I had soooo much legs on! I tried to get him to back, and he was just constantly throwing his head at me. The saddle I was in was too big for me, and the stirrups were up all the way, but still too long for me to feel comfortable in. We went to the larger outside arena and he wasn't doing much other than tossing his head a lot but I felt uncomfortable. I asked him for a lope, and he did an in-place humpy jig.

My mom asked how it was going, and I told her that honestly I didn't feel comfortable on him. She told me to go inside and tell the guy an they'd put me on another horse! I felt lame doing it, but since I didn't know the horse, I wasn't in for the fight I would have had to constantly be on him, and I wasn't comfortable in the saddle. All around in wasn't a good situation for me.

So, they put me on a different horse who was a nice, expensive cutting horse, and it was awesome!!! But that's a totally different story! However, one of the other guys jumped on the horse I originally had, and the horse was humpy and Bucky and reary and altogether not well behaved.

I felt so glad that I hadn't gotten hurt (well except for possibly breaking my ankle on the second totally awesome horse, but that's a different story and not at all his fault) and had trusted my instinct and spoken up, when obviously this horse was not going to work well with me. They later told me that that horse had not been ridden in a few months. Gee, thanks!! Tomorrow you will get my much better counterpart story on the awesome cutter horse! This is a picture of the cutter!


6 comments:

  1. Oh how exciting a cutting horse!! Did you get to work a cow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately there were no cows around :( I wish though! That would have been so fun!

      Delete
  2. Love the picture, I've just started reading your blog and found it really interesting, I read your comment on ur bio about liking to read other blogs so here's a link to mine http://thewaytoheavenisonhorseback.blogspot.co.uk/

    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely worth trusting your gut! But some horses that haven't been ridden for awhile go really well! Pity about that one - glad to hear the second horse was a lot better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Im thinking they figured I just wanted to come out and be on a horse, I don't know if they thought I could actually ride or not! So he probably would have been great had I just wanted to walk around the arena for a few minutes, but actually asking him to do stuff made him mad!

      Delete

I love comments!